For the comfort of travelling independently in Marrakech and throughout Morocco, it is advisable to take a car hire. Marrakech airport contains many companies which are easy to locate just outside the exit of the main arrivals hall.
All the car rental companies that you find at Marrakech airport are professional and can offer their customers a wide range of vehicles suitable for various purposes, budgets and tastes. Experienced staff members will be able to answer any questions you may have if you are not sure what car would best serve your needs.
The best option is to hire a car via the Internet by simply filling out a booking form. You will receive a confirmation of your booking as well as the invoice by email. It is a good idea to print out both and keep them as proof of your booking. On arrival at Marrakech airport, car hire company of your choice will need to see your driver’s licence, valid credit card and passport.
Car hire Marrakech airport requirements
- Most car hire companies have a minimum age requirement (usually 25)
- Sometimes, there is also an upper age requirement (for certain vehicles)
- Younger drivers (18-24) might be subject to higher charge rates
- To guarantee your booking, car hire Marrakech airport companies will require your credit card details as a deposit
Car hire tips
- Browse and compare the prices of different car hire companies before making a decision
- Choose a car that will be most suitable for your purposes (business or holiday trip, closer or longer distances etc), for the manner of your travel (e.g. alone or with family and children, with smaller or bigger baggage), for your budget and taste
- Booking your car in advance secures for you a wider car selection and the chances of a better deal
- Check the car straight away for any possible damage or dents before leaving
- Make sure that your car will be available to you at the airport and not a 5km bus ride away
- Make sure you know the price of all extras at the time of booking – including child seats
- Check if your car hire company is contactable 24/7
- Pay attention to the fine print in your car hire agreement
Car hire companies at Marrakech airport
The list of the represented at car hire companies at Marrakech airport companies includes some international and local operators:
ADA : Tel : +212 5 24 43 88 25
Avis : Tel : +212 5 24 43 25 25
Budget : Tel : +212 5 24 43 11 80
Europe car : Tel : +212 5 24 43 12 28
First car : Tel : +212 5 24 43 87 66
Hertz : Tel : +212 5 24 43 13 94
Morocco Rent a car : Tel : +212 5 24 43 38 21
National car : Tel : +212 5 24 43 06 83
Shark limousine : Tel : +212 6 61 80 69 63
Sixit : Tel : +212 5 24 43 17 99
Tourist car : Tel : +212 5 24 44 84 57
Things to see in Marrakech
Once you have collected your car hire at Marrakech airport, you will need to know where to go and what to visit in this beautiful ancient city. Marrakech also known as ‘the pearl of the south’ or ‘the red city’ is divided into two distinct parts: the medina (historical city) and the new city with two main districts: Guéliz and Hivernage. There is a lot to see and do for curious visitors: monuments and tourist sites, festivals and parades as well as beautiful parks, villages and valleys around Marrakech.
Monuments and tourist sites:
Djeema el Fna – the main market square in the old city used by locals and tourists. During the day, the square serves mainly as a market but later in the day, it becomes a site of many food stalls, magicians, snake charmers, story-tellers and Chleuh dancing boys.
Marrakech Souks – busy colourful markets set in the mazy backstreets, the souks sell everything from spices, clothes to jewellery and food. Common practice is to barter the prices with the vendors.
Jamaa-El-Fna Palace – XIth century palace
Saadians Tombs – untouched for hundred years and discovered just at the beginning of the 20th century tombs dating back to XVIth century
Koutoubia Mosque – said to be to Marrakech as the Eiffel Tower to Paris
Dar Si Saïd Museum – a museum set in an old palace and dedicated to the Marrocan craft industry of wood and popular art. Among others, the exhibition includes musical instruments, weapon, carpets, clothing, pottery
Agdal Gardens -listed on UNESCO Heritage Site about 400 hectares of lemon, orange, fig and apricot gardens (XIIth century)
Marrakech festivals and parades:
- Annual Marrakech popular arts festival on July
- Aeroexpo – International industries and aeronautic services fair
- Khmissa – a parade honouring accomplishments of women during the year
- Marrakech International film festival – an annual (Novemeber) event of growing fame and worldwide recognition rewarding the best Moroccan and foreign film productions
- Spring Moroccan song festival
- Awaln’ art festival – organised by Éclats de Lune company Marrakech Street-Art international meetings taking place simultaneously at Tahanaoute, Aït Ourir, Aghmat, Amizmiz and Marrakech.
- French-speaking humour festival
Sightseeing outside Marrakech:
- Valley of Ourika (30 km)
- Archeological site of Aghmat (30 km)
- Tinmel, old Berber village – XIth century (60 km)
- National park of Toubkal (70 km)
- Oukaimeden, – a ski station (74 km)
- Cascade of Ozoud (120 km)
If you have any questions regarding car hire Marrakech airport, please feel free to contact us.